Saturday 15 September 2007

reflection - 150907

directions matter

o in empty boundless space, directions have no meaning because there’s nothing to create direction
o in the bounded real spaces of the world, all directions matter
o I can go down the same stretch of road to and from where I live and the importance of each of those directions is inversely proportional to whichever way I am going
o the importance of whether I am going towards or away always favours the direction I am heading
o in one moment, when I am facing and heading towards the destination of where I live, that direction has no rival in importance and significance, but in the next moment, if I have to turn around and go the other way (or any other way for that matter), the importance of the direction I had been going immediately dissolves and disappears
o I create the importance of any direction relative to my purpose
o not only do I establish direction in choosing what to do and where to go, I also elevate its importance
o I thicken it and it becomes paramount above all other directions
o I extract it from anonymity and the deep and cosy companionship of its friends and singularise it in stature above the rest
o but I am fickle, its elevation is always short-lived and totally tailored to my needs – once I reach my destination and I have no need of the direction and route that got me there, it is immediately dismissed and forgotten – or remembered fondly if something interesting worth noting happened (like snapshots from holidays and adventure memorabilia)
o from differentiation and distinction it is discarded and merged once more into multidirectional surround-space – the porridge of non-distinction
o this is one of the deep body grammars that Morris talks about to do with facing and orientation
o directional space is a narrow groove – body width wide and conceptual
o it is also a linking element in the structure of spatial mobility
o direction stretches space together linking points and locations
o linking spaces are measured and quantified by time, distance, and effort
o they are physicalised and personalised to individuals and use
o by facilitating movement through space, directions extend the physicality of the body
o distance is a form of diminishing inconvenience – its inconvenience diminishes the closer the destination becomes

more on ‘avoidance’
o I can move because I have nothing to avoid OR I move freely when I have nothing to avoid
o so I choose to move in the places where avoidance is minimalised
o this defines ‘open’ space
o open spaces are merely spaces that have been enclosed in particular ways – they are defined and consequent on configurational and design elements

No comments:

Post a Comment